Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Skin deep.

Well, here's a post after months. Firstly, Ramadhan Kareem! Secondly, I'm back in Malaysia!

Now, on to the ranting of the sudden epiphany for a midnight inspiration post.

The source of inspiration is an excerpt from Lisa Unger's "Beautiful Lies" that I came across on Tumblr.

When you start to really know someone, all their physical characteristics start to disappear. You begin to dwell in his energy, recognize the scent of their skin. You see only the essence of the person, not the shell. That’s why you can’t fall in love with beauty. You can lust after it, be infatuated by it, want to own it. You can love it with your eyes and body but not your heart. And that’s why, when you really connect with a person’s inner self, any physical imperfections disappear, become irrelevant.


- Lisa Unger, Beautiful Lies

I can personally vouch for this one. I've been told many times that my best friends are pretty; "doesn't she has good skin", "her skin is very fair", "she looks very Arabic", "she has beautiful eyes", "she has a great body" etc.

When I first asked these questions or hearing their remarks, my reaction was either nothing, a smile, or an immediate "yes". The latter just because I want to avoid any awkwardness.

The first time ever I came across this situation was when I was still in high school. Somewhere midway. When someone told me so, I didn't how to react, simply because I didn't notice. I've known her since primary, and the fact never occurred to me. Ever. 

These remarks went on until I went for tertiary education with a different set of friends but by now I learned how to judge beauty (mostly from friends and some crazy beauty theories from the internet and magazines) and always go for an immediate "yes" but with more enthusiasm and additionally, my own take, with my own remarks.

It's not really because I personally think that looks aren't important to me; to judge outward appearances is shallow etc, but simply because the fact NEVER occurred to me. 

You might not believe me the fact that I'm not choosing friends by their looks but I'd honestly say otherwise because I was a very shy person and to be honest, most of my good friends are coincidental. They get thrown at me. Deskmates, housemates, tutorial mates, friends of friends. Rarely ever outside that circle. I get comfortable with people by time. 

I see them as people; not for their golden ratio, thigh gaps, crystal clear skin and whatever the heck it is people rave about these days which are almost funny sometimes. People may love beauty, but you fall in love with character.

We live in a world where people emphasize on outward appearances; unnecessary cosmetics (puffy eyes trend REALLY?), changing fashion trends, up ranking social statuses (wealth, branded goods), all that jazz. Maybe if we focus on those things a little less, we have more time to focus on inward moralities, to please the people that matter and most importantly, to please God. Which has a more lasting impression than those first impressions people are crazy for.



On an unrelated note, these are good though I should've gone for chocolate. I was actually attracted by the packaging. I'm not really crazy with healthy food though because I want to put on weight, really, but healthy food leaves you feeling better ugh.

Okay I'm clearly not sending a clear message here.